Do I need to register a UTR number?

UTR – is a Unique Taxpayer Reference number.

Under UK law many companies and individuals need a UTR number.

If you are not employed and you don’t have a UTR number, it means that you:

  • Work without confirming your work experience (that is obligatory to calculate your retirement benefits)
  • You won’t be able to apply for child benefit, housing and other benefits
  • You break the UK laws

Check who needs a UTR number:

  • Self-employed persons
  • Sole traders
  • Workers registered under the Construction Industry Scheme
  • Limited company directors
  • Individuals with a gross annual income of £100,000 or more
  • Anyone who receives untaxed income, incl. interest, that cannot be collected via PAYE
  • Partnerships, including Limited Liability Partnerships (LLPs)
  • Partners in business partnerships, including LLP members
  • Individuals who receive regular annual income from a settlement or trust
  • Investors
  • Trustees and executors of estates
  • Limited company shareholders who receive income from shares
  • UK residents with taxable foreign income above £300 a year
  • Landlords and any other persons receiving rental income
  • Anyone who claims expenses of £2,500 or more
  • Persons in receipt of certain capital gains
  • Recipients of Child Benefit payments who have an annual income above £50,000
  • Companies limited by shares
  • Companies limited by guarantee
  • Charities and trusts


If you have any questions regarding:

  • Registering a UTR number
  • Registering as self-employed
  • Registering an LTD
  • Self-assessment
  • Tax payments and accounting
  • Confirming your work experience
  • State pension
  • Applying for social benefits such as maternity, child benefits, universal credit etc
  • Fine cancellation
  • Immigration / pre-settled / settled status

Contact our consultants and get you free consultation!  

To get a free consultation from our specialist, book it on our website or call your nearest office.